It's no secret: I am an avid reader. From the time I was in grade school, I have really enjoyed reading, especially good, clean, absorbing fiction. Now that I have kids who love books and being read to, another category has delighted me - children's picture books.
Now, let me say this: while I love picture books, I'm actually kind of a book snob. There are too many good books out there to let our shelves be cluttered with poorly-written superficial fluff. I regularly go through the kids' bookshelf and cull things that are not up to the standard. (Although I must confess that we have a few Dora books and Princess books.)
Anyway, as I have been looking at and collecting children's picture books, I've found a few authors that I can always trust to deliver a book we'll love for years to come. Some of them are classics, some are a bit newer, but they're all delightful! (Keep in mind that these are just picture books - chapter books are a whole 'nother topic!)
1. Marjorie Flack - The Story About Ping, Angus and the Ducks
2. Virginia Lee Burton - Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel, The Little House
3. H. A. Rey - Curious George books
4. Sandra Boyton - Moo, Baa, La La La, Barnyard Dance
5. David Shannon - No, David!, A Bad Case of Stripes
6. Doreen Cronin - Click Clack Moo: Cows that Type, Duck for President
7. Julia Donaldson - The Gruffalo, The Snail and the Whale
8. Robert McCloskey - Blueberries for Sal, Make Way for Ducklings
9. Don Freeman - Corduroy, Dandelion
10. Janell Cannon - Stellaluna, Verdi
(11. Dr. Seuss - that's kind of a given)
Who are your favorite authors for children's books?
I'm linking up to Top Ten Tuesday at OhAmanda.com. Click over for more great Top Ten lists!